What You Need To Know About Spousal Support

Throughout the divorce process and beyond, one spouse may need financial assistance from the other to live comfortably. Spousal maintenance, also known as alimony, is a highly disputed area of Minnesota family law.

Select An Experienced Ramsey County Alimony And Maintenance Mediator

By hiring an experienced, knowledgeable lawyer, you will find that working through this process does not have to be as complex as it may seem. I am mediator and arbitrator Mike Black, and for more than 35 years I have been representing individuals throughout the metro area as they work through their divorce and family law issues. In this time, I have worked on more than 1000 cases as a mediator as an alternative method of resolving disputes.

Permanent Alimony And Temporary Alimony May Always Be Modified

In many cases, indeterminate spousal maintenance, also known as permanent maintenance, is paid until the recipient remarries or dies. Additionally, the amount or term of these payments may be changed if a new life circumstance occurs that affects his or her income and financial status, such as a job loss, retirement, an injury and more. Unless you have chosen to make maintenance non-modifiable by agreement, it can always be modified. Life is full of change, and your divorce decree can allow for the modification of spousal support, should your needs require it.

Sometimes, temporary spousal maintenance is used as a planning tool, with a predetermined end date. It is also possible to fix the payments and term so that they cannot be modified, regardless of future changes in circumstances.

It is important to understand, however, that you have the power to set all of these terms in a way that is most advantageous to you and your family.

Mediation is often a viable option if you are seeking to settle your divorce while avoiding the hassle, cost and stress of the courtroom. I have been a family law mediator since 1996, and I operate with a results-based, efficient mindset. If you want to work through your divorce and start living the rest of your life, I can help.

Contact Mike Black For More Information

You may contact my firm via email or phone. A short phone conversation will likely help you understand your options and what next steps are available. Call my St. Paul office at 651-222-2587.